A yule log is de rigueur for the season, and this Ice Cream Yule Log is a perfect easy-to-make centrepiece on your dessert table
If you love ice cream and cake, you’ll love this easy festive dessert.
Feel like making a fancy dessert for Christmas, but don’t want to put too much effort into it? This Ice Cream Yule Log is the way to go! All you would need is to mix the ingredients and wait for them to freeze while sipping eggnog (if you're really in the festive mood) or wine (if making eggnog is too much effort!). This recipe is really so quick and easy!
A combination of two favourite desserts, ice cream and cake, this dish will be a winner at any Christmas party you host, but it’s also great as a dessert for two, or even just you!
Ring The Changes On This Ice Cream Yule Log
Simply change the flavour of the ice cream or the cake to make a completely new dessert.
Some popular combinations:
* Chocolate ice cream with walnut cake
* Fresh strawberry ice cream with vanilla loaf cake, and
* Coffee ice cream with choco-chip cake.
It is so easy and yummy that you’ll want to make this every day!
Christmas Ice Cream Yule Log
8 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
800 g fruit cake, crumbled
1/3 cup brandy or rum
Orange rind strips (see notes)
Chopped dark chocolate
- Line a loaf tin with plastic wrap, extending the plastic about 3cm over the edge of the tin.
- Process the ice cream, cake and brandy, in batches, until combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Cover with plastic wrap, then foil; freeze until it sets into shape (about four to five hours).
- Just before serving, turn the frozen ‘log’ onto a baking paper-lined tray; gently peel away the plastic, and transfer it to the serving platter. Decorate with nuts, rind and chocolate, and serve immediately, garnished with mint.
Use a zesting tool to create long thin strips of rind. If you don’t have one, remove wide strips of rind with a vegetable peeler, then cut into thin strips with a sharp knife.
You can also drizzle the log with a chocolate sauce made by melting ¾ cup chopped dark chocolate with 1 cup cream on a low flame.
Main image: Shutterstock for representational purposes only
Also see: Christmas Pavlova Wreath