Christmas Eggnog, Mulled Wine and Hot Buttered Rum... festive drinks to get you in the Christmas mood!
Christmas is right around the corner, and, as merry folk set up their Christmas trees and put out their Christmas stockings, it is time to make the house smell warm, cosy and Christmas-y! The best way to get that smell in the air is to start making drinks! These won’t take a lot of time, and drinking them will get you and your friends in the right mood.
These are three delicious cocktails that will warm your belly just like cookies and milk warm Santa's belly on Christmas Eve. The Christmas mulled wine is a zero-effort drink that can be prepared in minutes, while sipping wine if you feel like it. The classic eggnog is the traditional drink for the season. This easy recipe for eggnog will make you feel that you are living in one of the Christmas movies that you love and adore, though only go for it if you’re okay with raw eggs. Last, but not the least, the hot buttered rum. The name pretty much says it all; this buttery, mouth-watering drink is as amazing as it sounds.
All you need is a stocked bar and a fire, and you’re ready to quench that Christmas thirst with these delicious drinks!
4 eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
1 1/3 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup bourbon
1 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
4 egg whites
- Beat the egg yolks in a stand mixer until they lighten in colour. Gradually add the one-third cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg, and stir to combine.
- Beat the egg whites in a stand mixer to soft peaks. With the mixer still running, gradually add the one tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites into the milk mixture. Chill and serve.
Christmas Mulled Wine
750 ml red wine (preferably a merlot)
1 cup apricot brandy
4 cinnamon sticks
- Place the red wine, apricot brandy and cinnamon sticks in a pan on a low flame and allow to heat through.
- Take off the flame and allow it to steep for five minutes.
- Add slices of orange and lime.
- Serve hot.
Hot Buttered Rum
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup honey
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
A pinch salt
¾ cup spiced rum
2 cups boiling water
4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish
- Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large measuring cup. Add the rum and then the boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves.
- Divide the buttered rum between four mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.
Main image: Shutterstock
Also see: Easy Christmas Pudding